Monday, April 29, 2013

For Posterity's Sake: The Red Barn is Finished!

I have been wanting to finish my red barn painting for a whole year now! I finally did it.
The red barn has some family significance. The only way I can put the story of the red barn into words is to share my Munner's words (my Grandma Fox).

" My Grandpa Bush was the greatest man on the planet -- an industrious farmer, community worker, good neighbor, etc.  How I loved him and the honor and respect my Mom had for him.    The painting in our living room is of his farmhouse and  cow barn, horse barn, pony barn and my pony!   His grandparents came from Conn. and homesteaded 500 acres, and Gpa thru the ages ended up with about 100 acres which he successfully farmed.   He had two children, my mom, Irene Gma Corwin and her brother, Harry. 
    Late in his life, Harry had cancer and had surgery at the Montrose Hospital on Grow Ave. in Montrose -- just across the street from where we lived while I went to high school.   Uncle Harry was in the hospital about two weeks and very ill.  At that time local painters would paint and frame their works and hang their paintings in the hospital rooms for the patients to enjoy.    Hanging in Uncle Harry's room was a red barn painting.  As he began to feel better, he and my Mom realized that it was his father's cow barn that the painter had painted.  He felt that looking at his father's barn gave him strength to recover.  After Uncle Harry got out of the hospital, my Mom contacted the painter and bought a copy of the red barn painting and gave it to her brother.   After he died, Mom got the painting, and then I inherited the red barn painting when she passed.   I am putting a little note on the back of the painting today that at the appropriate time, it should go to our favorite painter, YOU!!"

In honor of my Grandpa Bush, in whom Bush Determination originated, whose picture hangs in our family room.....

The red barn


No comments:

Post a Comment