Sunday, October 17, 2010

A Lesson in Sacrifice

Okay this is me right this very moment....I'm playing the waiting game and so I thought I'd blog about this little experience I get to have once a month or so. If I work a night shift from 6pm to 6am on a saturday/sunday, I've discovered I have to stay awake until 930 for church. If I even think about going to sleep before church, there is no hope of getting up. It's game over. But the waiting game from 6am to 930 is just grueling. No other words to describe it. My eyes burn, my body aches, and I know I need to go to church and come back to get as much sleep as I can before another night shift. Thank goodness life usually comes at you slow, because I see the moms who do this schedule and I stand in amazement that they can do this with kids. I had a chat last night with Dr. Madsen and he told me he goes home from his night shift to get his 7 children ready for church. Talk about a lesson in sacrifice. I can't remember whose talk it was in general conference about faith. Faith is not motivated by circumstance otherwise the natural man would continually give in. Some of the people I work with amaze me that they are pressing full speed ahead despite a difficult work schedule. I'm glad for right now I just have to think about keeping my eyes from shutting...maybe one day I'll add little people to this equation, and I'll have fought this battle against tiredness for so long, I won't even blink....and that'll be a good thing because blinking for me usually equals sleep:).

Thoughts on NP school: I had my mind made up to go....and now I'm wavering again....do I really want it? More education means even more added responsibility. I'm feeling pretty happy with the level of responsibility I have right now, and sometimes I wonder if I'm ready for that much more. Can I really do two more years of school? I think I just sign up for the GRE and take it....if I hit too many roadblocks on the way then I know maybe I'm not supposed to apply

Latest growing up/adult moment: I got approved for a $5,000 car loan. Hello junk car!!! I'm thinking maybe a toyota camry, honda, or a subaru??

Upcoming growing up/adult moment: I am signing up for health insurance. Yikes!

The clock is ebbing ever closer to 930. It is approximately 830. I'm dying. How do my eyelids know so well what they want to do?! Funny how war can be waged on such a micro level!

Life moment: My water got shut off by Provo city....do you know how important water is?? I couldn't wash my hands after the bathroom (gross). I couldn't take a shower. Couldn't do my dishes. Couldn't brush my teeth....you need water more than just to drink it
I'm grateful for water!

1 comment:

  1. Whitney! Yay you're blogging now! Not to try to sway you on life decisions or anything, but my most favorite, trusted, wonderful pediatrician was actually a primary nurse practitioner. I loved her style and her outlook on my kids and their health. And while I take my girls to a regular pediatrician now, I take Aaron to a PNP - they mesh better together. You can do it! You would be great!

    ReplyDelete