Monday, September 20, 2010

The Power of Love!


Guess who is coming back into P-town in 3 short months??!!!

My dear, dear friend Katie POWERS thats who!!!!!!!!!

Today's mission:
Find a way to convince my management company to let Katie sign onto a contract in my apartment 3 months before she will actually be living here, without paying for those 3 months. Could be impossible.
Be proxy to Katie to enroll her back into nursing school

Katie, come back! The French have had you long enough.

Today I was reminded of a funny that happened to Katie and I while we were in Taiwan so I thought I would write about it because this is a story for the ages.....

So we worked for 2 months in the ICU at the Chi Mei hospital in downtown Tainan. It was a great experience and we got to know a lot of the nurses pretty well...at least as much as broken Chingrish communication would allow. So while we were there, Nurses' Day was being celebrated which is an international holiday. The nurses told us that they have a presentation every year in honor of nurses and they wanted us to present something that would represent BYU. So the 8 of us that were there decided we would sing Lord, I would Follow Thee....the BYU Nursing School theme. We practiced for a couple weeks and felt ready when Nurses' Day arrived.
We enter this auditorium that has seated about 500 nurses from Chi Mei. The front row is seating the CEO of the hospital, the directors of Chi Mei, and the Chi Mei doctors. The program begins and the nursing director announces the line up for the evening.....the ICU nurses' presentation, BYU's presentation, a presentation from the directors, some skits....all I really listened to was when we would be going on stage.

We pass out our music while we wait for the ICU nurses to go on stage.....all of a sudden the lights go out. And this music comes blasting through the speakers...
Jolin Tsai, Butterfly...it's Chinese hip hop.
And then...the ICU nurses come onto stage in nothing but pink lingerie. The whole front row goes nuts. What is going on??? For the next 5 minutes we have to witness a pole dancing routine.....and in the back of our minds is the thought that we are going to be following this act with Lord, I would Follow Thee.
The madness finally comes to an end.
I look at our nursing professor....Jim, I'm not going up there, I'm NOT going up there. I look at Katie....I'm not going up there. She agrees.
Jim makes it very clear we are still singing.
So we sing Lord, I would Follow Thee
After the program was over the Chi Mei nursing director came up to us and said, "Next year, try to come up with a program a LITTLE more exciting." If that implies BYU nursing students shedding a little extra clothing to keep people on their toes, they will be in search of another university to bring to their hospital:)

I miss Taiwan, though. Writing this makes me miss the country.
My ultimate dream.....learn Chinese and go back to Taiwan or even China for a few years. I need Rosetta!

No comments:

Post a Comment