
Greg Laswell....he is my new favorite artist....even though he has been around for 2 years. But Jenni and I were listening to him in the car today as we lazily drove through the small towns of Rochester and Oakville, Washington. Love him, love him. I LOVE his song called Comes and Goes
This is for the ones who stand
For the ones who try again
For the ones who need a hand
For the ones who think they can
It comes and goes in waves
I am only let to wonder why
It comes and goes in waves
I am only let to wonder why
This song speaks to me. Well, actually, back up. The first time I heard this song it reminded me of some Amish man on his farm in Pennsylvania. No idea why. But I love the words in the chorus. I've always wondered why life ebbs and flows. Sometimes life is so good. Some moments I feel so at peace and happy. And then other times life can just stink. Some days in the hospital I am in the flow.....one time I looked up the word 'flow' in wikipedia. It's interesting.
Flow: the mental state of operation in which a person in an activity is fully immersed in a feeling of energized focus, full involvement, and success in the process of the activity. It is a single-minded immersion and represents perhaps the ultimate in harnessing the emotions in the service of performing and learning. The hallmark of flow is a feeling of spontaneous joy, even rapture, while performing a task.
So I've been thinking about times when I feel the flow.....and the ebb....well thats just the annoying stuff I think has to be experienced to feel the flow!
1. When I'm with my family having a good laugh or a good chat around the dinner table
2. When I'm reading the scriptures and the book is coming to life
3. When I'm reading Harry Potter....yes unfortunately this comes right behind reading the scriptures....judgment may be passed:)
4. When I'm on a long run in the mountains
5. When a day in the ER looks like this....taking care of 6 patients at once in a more critical state, admitting at least 1, transporting another patient to another hospital, one patient just came in who is in a full code, the ER doc shouts, "Are we running an ER today, or are we running an ER?!" He is meanwhile flying through charts writing new orders....the other nurses are buzzing around me as fast as I'm buzzing from patient to chart, to phone call, to patient, to doctor, to another nurse, to patient, to chart. I don't think about what I'm saying. Families' of patients are asking me questions and the answers just come...no forethought....thank goodness for an education that prepared me....I really do thrive off of this flow.
6. When Jenni and I are in one of our deep conversations, she is one of my dearest friends who I have known long enough that we can totally predict each others reactions almost perfectly. We have an almost complete understanding of each other. How this happens? I don't know. But I do remember the day I met Jenni....she was at the little convenient store in the cannon center buying chapstick. I knew the moment I saw her we would be great friends. That was 5 years ago. Weird.
7. When I was in college....a good lecture, my mind being blown
8. When I watched 'Inception'...my mind was blown by that too
9. When I am at the temple
10. When I write!
Just a few...
And why human relationships ebb and flow, I don't think some things will ever be figured out:).
No comments:
Post a Comment