Friday, January 20, 2012

Little Reminders

Today at work Dr. Z reminded me to critically think. You know how easy it is to be on auto pilot? In anything really...it can be easy to lose awareness of what we are doing, simply because we have done it soooo many times before. 

So today I'm grateful for moments that shake me loose and remind me to use my noggin.

I had a patient with a fever today; and tylenol was ordered. I thought about it quick and questioned Dr. Z, well, maybe we should give the patient IV tylenol. 

Dr. Z says, Why? Why are you going to give IV tylenol? I say it is faster acting. He says, Now how much is IV tylenol? Good question. IV tylenol is much more expensive than PO tylenol, I realize. And the patient will not die in 30 minutes while his fever comes down with a PO med. 

Thank you Dr. Z for not just giving me the answer to my question, but helping me in the process to critically think problems through, even if they are small. 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Whit! I found your blog through Andrea. How's everything going? I wish I got to see you more at work.

    ReplyDelete