After what seemed the longest month of contractions and being uncomfortable and using 15 pillows to sleep at night, Owen William Ostebo finally made his grand debut January 29th, 2014. I woke up the morning of the 29th feeling contractions that were stronger than normal. I told Mark before he went to work to make sure he kept his phone on him. I had a doctor's appointment at 9am, and by that time contractions were getting even stronger and closer together. Mark drove me to my appointment and the OB stripped my membranes. From almost the minute we left the office, contractions were five minutes apart. We made it home and started packing our bags. We left for the hospital an hour later. At the hospital, it took about six hours to dilate to 10cm. Then I pushed for five hours before the OB came and used forceps to deliver Owen. I got an epidural after about an hour of being at the hospital. Can't say it was my favorite, but it was the lesser of the two evils. And seriously, I have a whole new level of appreciation for moms who go natural. Not my cup of tea that's for sure. My epidural wore off somewhat on my left side, and man, contractions are not very nice.
But at 11:18pm, we got to hear that first little cry that just melted our hearts. I was actually a little afraid to see him at first. I've heard people say that they experience so much love for their child upon first seeing them. And while I sincerely hoped that would be true for me, part of me just didn't know because I hadn't gone through that experience. If there's one thing I keep learning, it is that the saying 'the night is darkest before the dawn' is so true and usually when I feel my faith tested the most. Pregnancy hasn't been a time of darkness per say, but a time of uncertainty for me. And I felt the most uncertain about being a mom at the very end. I just didn't know how I would feel, and how our lives would change.
I was in a lot of pain right after delivery and didn't want to meet Owen for the first time in that state. I waited til he was cleaned up, and I was given some pain medication.
Mark brought Owen over to me, and upon first seeing his little face, I just couldn't believe it! He was the most precious little person I'd ever laid eyes on. It was so surreal. And truly, in just a few moments time, those feelings of uncertainty washed away, and I was left with nothing but the most pure and free flowing love for my little boy. I loved the feeling of his skin on mine. I just couldn't grasp that this was the child that had been inside me for those nine months, and all of a sudden here he was. I took in every detail of his face, and grasped his little hands and toes. Actually, the first thing Mark told me about him, being that he saw him first, was how big his hands and feet were! He said it was the first thing he noticed! Every time I looked at his face I felt like crying, and a lot of times I did cry. I was so overwhelmed with love, and this sudden desire to protect him and give him the best life I could. Mark and I talked about how Heavenly Father must feel for us.
Mark was so amazing during this whole experience. He was right by my side the entire time and gave me such wonderful, constant support. I kept telling him I could not have done it without him. It was a team effort. And it is now one of my favorite memories to remember him seeing and meeting Owen for the first time. We both were feeling so much love for him in that moment.
Having Owen has definitely changed my relationship with Heavenly Father as I understand a little better how He must feel for all of us. I think of Owen being raised in this world we live in and knowing he'll have his own experiences, good and bad. And then I think how Heavenly Father must feel letting us go to earth to experience mortality. He truly loves us. This experience has given me such a greater understanding of the plan of salvation.
We gave Owen his middle name after my mom's dad, William Fox, so Owen would always remember his great grandpa, a most kind, loving, wonderful man. My grandpa was also the man that sealed us on our wedding day.
Getting ourselves packed up to head to the hospital
Having contractions at the check in desk!
Let's get this show on the road!
Sweet baby Owen!
Check out those hands!!
Weighing in at a whopping 8 lb 6 oz
Father and son
Seeing Owen for the first time
Poor guy was attacked by forceps
Owen has this trick where he sticks one leg straight out almost every time he gets his diaper changed.
Meeting Uncle Joe
Meeting the Calls
Either he doesn't want to go home, or he hates the winter suit
Thank you for sharing your story! It helps to read what you had to say and makes me feel so good reading all your sweet words! So happy for you guys! You are a champ!
ReplyDelete