After waiting through long winter months for our babies to arrive, the ants have finally made it! That's right, we are proud owners of 30 ants who have made their home in green NASA gel right in our very own kitchen. (I know, kind of gross....but hey they're family now).
My brother Brad is AWESOME and gave Mark the ant farm for Christmas, with the ants being mailed directly to us. Well, days of waiting turned into weeks, turned into months....it was just too darn cold this winter!! But alas the weather has begun to turn to spring, and they came all bundled and packaged in a tiny tube in the mail.
Most days they just busily dig away. I think they're happy little ants.
Sometimes, though, if you get really close to their tank, they start frantically running to the top and jumping up and down like they're yelling at me "HELP, HELP ME!" And it makes my heart break a little. Maybe I'm just giving them way too much credit for having that kind of emotion.
Either way, we LOVE our ants. According to 'Uncle Milton's Ant Farms' they can live for 1-3 months on the gel. Then what??! Can't just let the little guys die?! Guess we'll just have to set them free when it comes down to it. Kiss our little babies goodbye, and send them into the big bad world.
You would get everyone's hopes up with fake baby news ;). It's okay. I'm sure I did it once or twice too! But seriously those ants are pretty cool in that jelly! I'd recommend taking a long bike ride and setting them free. They might start invading your house if not!!
ReplyDeleteMuah haha!! So true...I do plan on setting them free far far away. Those things are everywhere, we have an infestation at the hospital right now. It's a bit embarrassing to be taking care of patients and ants are meanwhile crawling around my legs, or chewing on a crumb in the corner.
ReplyDeleteThat is so yucky!! Any trips to Seattle soon ;)
Delete