This is me before my last shift as an ER nurse at Timpanogos Regional Hospital. It was a bittersweet decision, but ultimately I felt strongly about being home more with Owen than I was. Luckily, we were in a position that allowed me to do that. I will definitely miss being in the hospital and using my skills, but I am so at peace knowing that I am the one primarily caring for Owen.
I love how prayer works. I have been praying for a while to know if I should be done at the hospital. I felt the decision was to quit, but at that point I still enjoyed every shift and couldn't see what it would look like if I wasn't working. I've found that with prayers and answers to prayers, there is usually a leap of faith to take before the confirmation of that prayer comes. I took a leap of faith to be done working, and almost immediately felt the confirming peace and assurance that I had made the right choice.
I'm keeping my nursing license current working still at BYU, teaching a simulation nursing class. I love love love teaching and being a part of the students' learning process. I learn from them every time I teach, and it is highly rewarding.
This is the letter I wrote to the ED after I quit
To
my Timpanogos ED friends:
I
wanted to thank you all for the time we’ve spent together and the experiences
shared. I’ve learned so much and grown from knowing all of you and watching
your examples. The finest in the business work at Timpanogos ED! I regard you
and highly respect you as hard working professionals as well as my dear
friends. And I’m sad to not be working with you anymore.
In
a job that can be physically, mentally, and emotionally exhausting, I
continually stand amazed at the great level of care you give to others. I’ve
loved watching the unique ways you give of your heart. And it’s inspired me to keep trying my
best to be a good caregiver as well.
Thanks
for all the great conversations and debates. Thanks for all the sharing of
knowledge. Thanks for lending a hand and being team players. Thanks for the
good laughs and jokes. Thanks for the kindness and friendship. Thanks for
standing for what is moral and ethical, and for upholding values in a working
environment. Thanks for being reliable and trustworthy. And thanks for all the junk foodJ.
I’ve
loved the ED, it’s been such a great place to work. I love the adrenaline, the
unpredictability, and the learning environment. It’s a neat opportunity to help
a person in a time of great need and vulnerability. It’s very fulfilling and
purposeful. And again most of all, it’s the camaraderie that has especially
kept me coming back. I’m sure you
share some of my sentiment.
I
hope the best for all of you in your lives! I’ll miss you!! I’ve enjoyed so
much getting to know you. May God be with you.
Love,
Whitney Ostebo
No comments:
Post a Comment