At one point during the day, I was talking with a nurse about what the protocol is to deliver units of blood if in a trauma situation and you don't have time to cross and type a patient to find their blood type. She informed me you give O- blood. I remembered that. Just a tid bit of information but I think it was a tender mercy we talked about it.
We had a pediatric patient tonight who was losing blood fast. We did a type and screen. But the unit of blood wasn't coming back fast enough. It dawned on me to just get O- blood. So I sprinted to the lab and told the blood chemist I needed it right away. She yelled at me and slammed cupboard doors because she was so mad I switched the order (which I think was ridiculous) but I got the blood...just in time to give it to my patient before we shipped her off with AirMed.
A true ER moment, and a true tender mercy.
I love my coworkers too! They are so fun and together we keep ourselves sane. So glad I met them.
WHITENY,.. I just saw on Facebook that you are working at Timp,.. is that right? I used to work in the lab there,.. I bet i know who this Chemist is!!! Isn't she a JOY? Oh Timp!! It's a good place,.. depending on who you are working with! Don't cross paths with Arlinda,.. she is a horrible person!! Love ya girly!
ReplyDeleteThis is my favorite story!
ReplyDeleteI love love love when stuff like that happens: you ask this question about something or read a quick article about a certain use for a medication and then, sure enough, your next shift there's a patient with the need for that EXACT THING you just learned.
Tender mercies, indeed. Great post.